22 Sep Vacancy: Project Manager
Full-time (40 hours per week) – based in Amsterdam
Stichting Amsterdam Institute for Global Health and Development (AIGHD) is currently seeking an experienced Project Manager. The Project Manager will be responsible for supporting the implementation and monitoring progress of several projects and programs, for ensuring timely reporting on their scientific and financial progress as well as overseeing all financial, administrative and contractual obligations.
The wide variety of projects implemented by AIGHD in the areas of, for example, biomedical and laboratory research as well as health economics are each overseen by a project team which consists of at least a scientific project leader and a project manager. They work closely together with scientific, financial and other staff members in order to successfully implement, and complete the project. The project manager will join our project management team and collaborate with our scientific staff towards successful support of the projects.
Key results expected
Management of assigned projects and programs by ensuring they are executed at the highest possible quality, while adhering to the agreed contracts, the needs and requirements of the funding agencies and AIGHD policies, in close collaboration with the scientific project leader, other team members, support staff, and international partners
- Coordinate, implement and monitor the planned project activities in collaboration with project partners
- Meet internal and external reporting requirements within agreed timelines
- Administer project finance timely and transparently in close collaboration with General Management and the Finance and Control department
- Adhere to relevant donor regulations
- Act as the contact point for funding institutions, partner organisations and stakeholders in project implementation
- Maintain financial overview / budget monitoring
- Make optimal use of available funds
- Coordinate project related logistical arrangements and procurement
- Plan meetings and ensure meeting reports (minutes) are available and distributed
- Assist with preparing research proposals for funding opportunities, in particular:
- Support the operational, financial and administrative aspects of research proposals
- Draft underlying project budget
- Assist in writing of research proposals, where appropriate
- Identify and manage risks associated with the proposal
- Academic level, preferably educated to degree
- Formal certification/qualification in project management or equivalent is considered an asset
At least 3-5 years of relevant work experience in scientific and administrative research project management in an international context
- Demonstrated excellent communication, presentation, and organization skills
- Have a proven ability to plan and successfully manage complex projects and multiple projects at the same time
- Experience with financial management of projects
- Ability to deliver results against short deadlines
- Enjoying working in a team
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Keen attention to detail, structured and well-organised
- Excellent arguably computer software skills – Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint)
- Demonstrated experience with working in the area of global health and/or in an academic environment
- Experience with working in a multidisciplinary approach
- Knowledge of both theoretical and practical aspects of project management, as well as techniques, software and tools
- Excellent command of both written and spoken English and Dutch
AIGHD offers an excellent job opportunity in a cutting edge working environment in global health and development and a salary in line with prevailing sector standards. AIGHD has a fulltime workweek of 40 hours, 25 days leave annually, an attractive collective pension plan and a very comprehensive collective health insurance scheme. The position is based at the office of AIGHD in Amsterdam.
The Project Manager will generally work Monday through Friday (32-40 hours a week) at the office of AIGHD in Amsterdam-Zuid Oost. We offer a contract for an initial period of 8 months, with a possibility of renewal. Starting date as soon as possible.
For more information about the job description please contact Friso Janssen, General Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Wiesje Zikkenheiner, Coordinator Project Management (email@example.com ).
General questions, applications including CV and letter of motivation (in English) should be sent to HR Support (firstname.lastname@example.org). Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closing date: October 9, 2017.
Stichting AIGHD takes a problem-oriented approach and transcends the boundaries of traditional academic disciplines to provide sustainable solutions in the field of Global Health. It is a dynamic network focused on research, education and policy advising. The Institute stands for a collaboration among biomedical researchers from the Academic Medical Center (AMC), social scientists and economists from the University of Amsterdam (UvA) and from the VU University Amsterdam (VU). In addition, its constituents include a number of non-governmental organizations (NGO’s), such as the PharmAccess Foundation, The Health Insurance Fund and the Medical Credit Fund, which have a pivotal place in the consortium. AIGHD links expertise, resources and programs from institutions that are involved in health-related research, education and capacity building. By doing this, it brings a “delivery perspective” to health research, and a “quality aspect” to health care services in countries with more limited resources.