17 Jul Vacancy: Postdoctoral Fellow in Health Economics and Systems Modelling
Postdoctoral Fellow in Health Economics and Systems Modelling
Full time (40 hours per week) – based in Amsterdam, with frequent travel
The Amsterdam Institute for Global Health and Development (AIGHD) is seeking to fill the position of post-doctoral fellow in health economics and systems modelling. We offer you an international setting with a high-pace that demands a flexible, assertive and creative attitude. This vacancy aims to enhance the expertise of AIGHD in the area of health economics, with a focus on decision analytic modelling related to global health interventions and technologies. The post holder will be expected to develop a broad programme of work developing and applying innovative modeling approaches to economic analyses conducted by AIGHD and its partners. The post holder will focus initially on projects around novel diagnostic strategies in low- and middle- income countries (LMICs); and incorporating health systems constraints in the evaluation of interventions to address anti-microbial resistance. The work will involve extensive collaboration with partners in LMICs and global health research institutions. The work will involve both primary economic data collection and the design and application of a range of model forms, including Markov and operational models. The post is offered initially for two years full time, with the potential for extension based on funding availability and performance.
The post-doctoral fellow in health economics and systems modelling reports to Professor Anna Vassall (Joep Lange Chair holder).
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
- Contribute to proposals in health economic evaluation and priority setting
- Design economic evaluation protocols and data collection tools
- Supervision of country teams in economic data collection
- Design and implementation of economic evaluation models
- Presentation of results at technical and academic conferences and meetings
- Preparation of publications for peer-reviewed journals and report writing
- Dissemination and communication with policy makers at local, national and global level
- Contribution to the development of multi-disciplinary work at AIGHD through internal seminars and meetings
- Supervision of PhDs and MSc students, with occasional teaching seminars.
- PhD in health economics, economics, health science (with an economic component), mathematics, or another relevant quantitative discipline (with prior education in economics)
- Previous experience of global health work or research
- Demonstrated full spoken and written fluency in English (and Dutch preferred)
- Strong presentational and communication skills
- Ability and interest to work in a multi-disciplinary environment
- Commitment to and interest in improving global health
- Work experience in low- and middle- income countries
- Good knowledge of software packages used for modelling (Treeage, Excel, R, others)
- Experience in collecting cost or other economic data in LMICs
- Experience in developing economic evaluation models
- Experience in health systems strengthening or infectious diseases
- Experience working in a development assistance agency or a global health non-government organization
- Experience in global health research
- Fluency in languages other than English or Dutch
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Economics
What We Offer
The Amsterdam Institute for Global Health and Development offers an excellent job opportunity in a cutting-edge working environment in global health and development and a salary in line with prevailing sector standards. AIGHD has a full time workweek of 40 hours, 25 days leave annually, an attractive collective pension plan and a very comprehensive collective health insurance scheme. The position is based at the office of AIGHD in Amsterdam
Please send your application (including CV and letter of motivation) to HR Support at AIGHD firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Amsterdam Institute for Global Health and Development (AIGHD) is a research and education institute with a mission to address challenges in global health and development by conducting collaborative interdisciplinary research, generating insights and solutions, and educating the next generation of global health leaders.
AIGHD conducts collaborative, interdisciplinary research prioritizing infectious disease elimination, antimicrobial drug resistance, chronic care & ageing, urbanization & health, health markets, and economics of human development. It aims to educate and inspire the next generation of global health leaders at undergraduate, post-graduate and professional levels to shape a healthier and more prosperous future for all. AIGHD aspires to accelerate progress on global health objectives by sharing knowledge and insights with global agencies, governments, NGOs, and the scientific community.
No (recruitment) agencies please