12 Feb Vacancy: Postdoctoral Researcher in Mathematical Modelling
Vacancy: Postdoctoral Researcher in mathematical modelling of the impact of host restriction on the transmission of bacteria
Fulltime (40 hours per week) – based in Amsterdam
The Amsterdam Institute for Global Health and Development (AIGHD) is seeking to fill the position of postdoctoral researcher in mathematical modelling of the impact of host restriction on the transmission of bacteria. The postdoctoral researcher will work on the HECTOR project which aims to identify determinants of host restriction of E. coli and their potential association with antimicrobial resistance transmission and prevalence. The HECTOR project proposes a One Health approach using mixed methods, including whole genome sequencing of a large collection of E. coli isolates from human, animal and environmental sources in different geographic areas across Europe and in Vietnam, experimental models to study the role of host restriction determinants in transmission and bacterial fitness and mathematical modelling. The postdoctoral researcher will work as part of a multidisciplinary team that has long-standing experience in collaboration on the interface between mathematical modelling, statistics, epidemiology and public health.
Main task and responsibilities
- Modelling study of the transmission of (antimicrobial resistant) bacteria between populations.
- Use of data obtained from experiments to establish the impact of host restriction on exchange of bacteria and resistance genes between animals, humans and the environment.
- Presentation of results at technical and academic conferences and meetings.
- Preparation of publications for peer-reviewed journals and report writing.
- Completed PhD in theoretical biology, health sciences, mathematics, biostatistics or a similar discipline.
- Interest in the application of mathematical methods to epidemiological and public health questions.
- Work experience with mathematical modelling and advanced statistical techniques is preferred.
- Strong presentation and communication skills.
- Able to communicate well with researchers from other disciplines and eager to learn to solve problems on the interface of theoretical epidemiology and public health.
- Demonstrated full spoken and written fluency in English (and Dutch preferred).
What we offer
The position is for a period of one year. The post holder will be based at the HECTOR partner Julius Center of the University Medical Center Utrecht. The postdoctoral researcher will also work closely with the HECTOR partners in the UK and Germany.
The Amsterdam Institute for Global Health and Development offers an excellent job opportunity in a cutting-edge working environment in global health and development and a salary in line with prevailing sector standards. AIGHD has a fulltime workweek of 40 hours, 25 days leave annually, an attractive collective pension plan and a very comprehensive collective health insurance scheme.
For more information contact Dr. Martin Bootsma (email@example.com) or Prof. Dr Constance Schultsz (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Amsterdam Institute for Global Health and Development (AIGHD) is a research and education institute with a mission to address challenges in global health and development by conducting collaborative interdisciplinary research, generating insights and solutions, and educating the next generation of global health leaders.
AIGHD conducts collaborative, interdisciplinary research prioritizing infectious disease elimination, antimicrobial drug resistance, chronic care & ageing, urbanization & health, health markets, and economics of human development. It aims to educate and inspire the next generation of global health leaders at undergraduate, post-graduate and professional levels to shape a healthier and more prosperous future for all. AIGHD aspires to accelerate progress on global health objectives by sharing knowledge and insights with global agencies, governments, NGOs, and the scientific community.
Please send your application (including CV and letter of motivation) to HR at AIGHD email@example.com.
No (recruitment) agencies please